Today's Tried & True recipe is another sweet treat from my sister's kitchen in Anchorage, Alaska - Mississippi Mud Pie, also know as, Muddy Mississippi Cake!
A traditional Mississippi Mud Pie is dense, super sweet and fudgy. This recipe, by Chef Matt Lewis, is "a dreamier, more elegant version" with a flourless chocolate cake inside a cookie crust, layered with silky pudding and topped with fresh whipped cream and shaved semi-sweet chocolate.
This is a special occasion dessert. Truly decadent. It will more than satisfy a chocolate lover with a chocolate craving.
There are several steps to making this pie. Don't let the number of steps intimidate you. According to my sister, the sheer satisfaction of constructing the pie and the delicious end result are worth the effort.
NOTE: When I share a tried & true recipe, I always credit the source and often will send you to the site for the directions. All you need to do is click on "Print Recipe" below and it will take you to the full recipe. One extra click for an awesome recipe, that's it! It's important to me to share the love and send you to the original source.
This recipe is featured in the cookbook, Baked Explorations: Classic American Desserts Reinvented - Authors, Matt Lewis and Renato Poliafito
For the Chocolate Cookie Crust
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 16 ounces chocolate sandwich cookies such as Oreos (35 to 40 cookies), crushed
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
For the Flourless Chocolate Cake
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 6 ounces good-quality dark chocolate (60 to 70 percent), chopped
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 1/4 cup strong coffee, at room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 6 large eggs, separated, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
For the Chocolate Pudding
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup dark unsweetened good-quality cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 ounces good-quality dark chocolate (60 to 70 percent)
For the Whipped Cream Topping
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
Thanks for stopping by!