Looking for the perfect pie for your summer cookout, holiday or special occasion? Look no further! This chocolate pudding pie satisfies everyone's sweet tooth.
Wonderful flaky pie crust filled with dreamy homemade chocolate pudding, topped with fresh whipped cream and sprinkled with chocolate shavings. Cool, creamy, smooth and delicious. Most importantly, it's chocolate! Chocolate pie heaven. Simple to make too.
This is another tried & true recipe from my sister's kitchen in Alaska. This pie is a favorite go-to dessert for special occasions or when a chocolate fix is in order. This recipe can be found on Smitten Kitchen and epicurious and was featured in Gourmet Magazine. Hands-down, the best chocolate pudding pie I've ever had - not too rich and heavy, just right. Unlike some chocolate pudding recipes, this one does not call for eggs and butter so it's a bit lighter.
Look at this pie...what's not to love?! My sister has a pretty large family (6 boys) and always doubles the recipe making two pies. She's lucky to get a slice, it goes so fast. If you plan to make this for a large group - be sure to make two!
The perfect dessert for chocolate lovers. Simple to make, so good.
Homemade Chocolate Pudding PieRecipe found on epicurious and Smitten Kitchen
Pin Recipe to Pinterest
Pastry Dough (pie crust)
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 stick cold unsalted butter, cut in 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons cold vegetable shortening
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 4 tablespoons ice water
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups whole milk
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate (not more than 60% cocoa), finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup chilled heavy cream
- Equipment: pie weights or dried beans
- Garnish: bittersweet chocolate shavings (optional)
For the step-by-step directions and to print this wonderful recipe, please head to epicurious.
Sharing this recipe at Weekend Potluck.
Thanks so much for stopping by!